Thursday, October 18, 2007

into the fray

As of a few days ago, I heard a friend "has cancer, colon cancer." My wife was speaking with him on the phone, and she suggested to him he talk to me. (That was quite an endorsement.)

A few days later, we visited him - we were coincidentally traveling to his town - and he told us what was going on. He had gone for screening and the doctor told him he has polyps, diverticulitis, and needs to have a section of his colon removed.

For my part, I said that was deplorable advice, and asked him to please talk with me at length when he visited our town, as he was planning to do in a few days. (It turned out the doctor had also said he maybe shouldn't take time to travel, but should have the operation immediately. Talk about a bum's rush! What about getting a second opinion? Is there time for that?!)

Our friend's girl friend, an occupational therapist (read, medical professional) was looking at me with a shocked expression. She asked something to the effect of whether I realized this was a life and death situation. I feel a bit chastened. At the same time, the advice he is getting still sounds like nonsense.

I explained to them that I was not talking about doing nothing, and that I was eager to describe my prescription, though not over dinner. I described my philosophy in general terms, and they sounded reasonably impressed, though still (as they very well should be) skeptical.

Back home, with a few days having passed, it sure looks like my friend isn't going to make it over here for a chat. It's the universe telling me to get off my duff, get over my fear of failure, and start writing up my analysis and prescription.

No comments: